Saturday, July 29, 2006

Some ABCD's summary of going to India

M wrote a very interesting blog about going back home (India). Now, seems like she is giong back home after a very long time, so she is not familiar about what goes on in India. One thing that really amused me, is that she was "surprised" on the way people drive there. She thought that her car would crash into some other car, but thanks to A+ drivers in India, that rarely happens:
The drive back home was traumatic. Cars zip past us without any regard for oncoming traffic. I couldn't bear to look out the window for fear of shrieking every second. By some miracle we reach home without crashing into another car, man or animal and without having anything crash into us.
Also the domestic flights in India, how they offer a choice of 3 breakfasts on 2 hour flights, compared to pretzels and a drink in the US:

The flight to Calcutta is wonderful. They offer us three choices for breakfast. Three choices! I mean, I am so used to having a miniscule pack of pretzels thrown at me on the domestic flights in the US, that having to choose between continental, South Indian sambhar and idli and North Indian paratha and sabzi has me all confused and worked up. It was just beautiful. We were home and it looked like it would be a beautiful day.
Also, the sounds, smell and everything of India:
May be it is the sheer strain of having to travel through such chaotic traffic, blaring horns, throngs of suicidal people who prefer to walk on the road than on the sidewalk, the heat and humidity and the constant exhaust from cars and buses that cling to the air and choke your insides. I suddenly become aware of a hundred different sounds that are around me at any given time. Sounds that I had started to forget. Almost. Like the cacophony of cars honking, as they honk on every corner before they make a turn just to let you know that they are approaching. Or the guy with the metal bucket who washes our car every morning and makes sure he lets everyone know that he is doing his job. Or the people selling their wares on the street "Didi ekdom joler dorey" (as cheap as water). People are everywhere. Yelling, shouting, making themselves heard. And the smells. Of rotting garbage. Of clogged waste-water drains. Of smoke and motor exhaust. And amidst that, of tempting street food. Of rolls and telebhaja (fritters). Of peanuts being dry roasted. Of deep fried shingara and spicy chowmein.

Man, this is so funny... sounds like an ABCD's view on India LMAO

PS: I will also write a summary on my travel to India after I come back. So you don't have to read such funny ones :)

2 comments:

M (tread softly upon) said...

Just saw that you had crosslinked my post. Not really sure whether you were just kidding. Also wanted to clarify that I am not an "ABCD" since I was not borm in the US of A!

Wake Up Sheeple! said...

Dear M,
Sorry about that, was just kidding... no offense :)